Monday 1 November 2010

Candy

Although I don't have this problem yet, I know it will be a battle in the future.  Kids and candy.  As a mom, I would like to raise my children as free of candy as possible.  I know this will be a battle because sometimes, I can't even keep myself from a little sweet goodness now and then.  This morning though, I read this article and it fostered a whole new train of thought for me, and my approach to mothering.


This mother helped foster innovation, and creativity in her children by implementing candy 'experiments' rather than just letting them eat the candy.  After reading the article, it made me think of my childhood experience and how my mom helped foster innovation and creativity in me.  We would bake, make crafts, and play games of which she would always include a "lesson".  So instead of just having us add chocolate chips to the dough, and stir, she would explain why we were doing each step.  Instead of looking at things as they are, such as candy, we as parents should be challenging our children with what something as simple as candy could be. 

This way of thinking should not just be reserved for kids.  I need to be more innovative, and creative in my everyday life.  Thinking outside of the box, is a talent that can be used in all faucets of life, and usually proves to have rewards in the end.

No comments:

Post a Comment