Sunday 23 August 2009

A Summer Salad...


I know I've ranted and raved to those close to me about my love for a good balsamic vinegar, I thought I had tried it on all it could be edible on (salads, strawberries, ice cream), but today I found a new wonderful recipe! Perfect for a sunny afternoon picnic, or barbecue.

I had a surplus of peaches that were limited in their hours of living ripe so I did a little search for a good recipe and found the perfect one on Real Simple:

3 ripe peaches (peeled, if desired)
1 cup fresh basil leaves, torn
8 ounces fresh mozzarella, cut into 1-inch chunks
2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
1/8 teaspoon black pepper
I have a live basil plant that I eat off constantly and I also was in supply of fresh mozzarella so this recipe was perfect.

I drizzled balsamic vinegar instead of the olive oil, salt and pepper and thought it divine. The deep purple of the balsamic vinegar provided a visually beautiful salad.

Also, buying 'light' mozzarella tastes just a good as the real thing! Normally I try and eat healthy but I don't buy the diet or low fat versions if I really enjoy something, but for mozzarella there is no difference.

Enjoy!




1 comment:

  1. Did your husband enjoy this delightful salad? I wish I could have sat down and ate this wonderfully seen and designed dish with you talking of fashion, design and architecture over tea. Of course the child would be napping and I would be in a blazer, skinny jeans and boots...aahh some day Amy! That day will come, Emma will be there dressed up as well, Buffy will be in a tshirt with one stain, cute hair and great shoes, her children eating only the peaches. Noah with his shirt and socks of, only in short and Grace attempting to scream till Joaquin is awake from his nap. Mom attempting to enjoy the beautfiul picture. Please come and visit!! We are in need of some culture.

    I am inspired to get a basil plant!

    Love you!

    ReplyDelete